Fool proof recipe
Preparation time: 30 mins +fridge time
Total cooking time: 50 mins
1 quantity sweet pastry :
- Makes 350g
- 200g plain flour.
- Large pinch salt.
- 70g unsalted chilled butter
- 1 beaten egg.
- 1/2 drops vanilla extract
- 80g caster sugar
- 4 eggs.
- 1/2 caster sugar
- Juice 4 lemons / 200ml
- Rind of 1 lemon
- 150ml double/thick cream.
- Small pan
- Large bowl
- Palette knife
- Cling wrap
1. Swiftly sift the salt and flour in a large bowl. Slice butter roughly into 1cm x 1cm squares then place into the flour mix.
2. Roughly rub butter into flour mix with finger tips until resembling fine bread crumbs.
3. Combine sugar to flour mix and make well in the centre pour egg and vanilla into well and slowly work the mixture together using palette knife or pastry scraper.
4. If the pastry is too dry sprinkle a little water until just holds together.
5. Remove mix from bowl to a lightly floured surface and knead away from you, still within the flours reach.
6. Neatly gather the pastry into a ball then flatten and wrap in cling wrap then into the fridge to chill before use. Chill for 20mins
7. Rub a 4cm deep loose bottom tin about 20-18 across the base of the tin with melted butter.
8. On a floured surface roll the sweet pastry (you made earlier) into a ball then
flattens of about 3mm thick and line the tin.
9. Then chill in fridge to set for 30 mins. Preheat oven to a hot temperature of 190*C. Blind bake for 10 mins till the pastry is firm. Remove the blind baking beans and paper from the base of the tray if the pastry is wet place back in the oven for 3- 4mins or until firm. Reduce heat to 140*C.
17. Warm up cream in a small pan over low heat, in large bowl whisk eggs, sugar and lemon juice.
18. Combine the cream and egg mix. Pass through sieve then stir in the lemon rinds and pour into the pastry case.
19. Return to the oven for 35mins or the filling is just firm to the touch.
20. Remove from oven then place into fridge until the filling is set enough to cut.
Remove from tin and cut into slices depending on how many you’re feeding.
Best served with yogurt on a platter